Here's my selection of WordPress Plugins.
The main question is to use JetPack or not: till now, I haven't used it as the functions I need are covered by other plugins that I used before knowing JetPack. However, for a new site, I would consider the question.
- Broken Link Checker: to check the links validity.
- Contact Form 7: the reference to manage forms with WordPress, simple to use and very comprehensive. Note that JetPack ans some themes also offers contact forms.
- DB Cache Reloaded Fix: to speed up your site with a Database cache ... to be installed last. And do not forget all the operations to improve performance.
- Juiz Social Post Sharer: To ass buttons to share articles on social networks (better than Cocorico Social).
- Limit Login Attempts: To limit (failed) login attempts, hence to restrict brute force intrusion. MANDATORY ! ! The best in its field (cf. a revue).
- SEO WordPress by Yoast: I've started with Platinum SEO but this is really the best (and the most wellknown). For other SEO tools, check out a previsous article.
- WP-HTML-Compression: to compress HTML pages ... hence to speed up pages display.
- WP-Piwik or Google Analytics for WordPress by Yoast: to be able to follow your visitors behaviour.
Good (but can live without it)
- Dynamic To Top: to display an icon (arrow) allowing to go back up at the page top.
- Meta Slider: a slider (actually several group into one) simple to use and with good result.
- Subscribe to Comments Reloaded: your blog reader will be able to follow the comments left on the blog.
- Social Icon Widget: to add icons and to connect to your social media profiles.
- WP Google fonts : to manage the fonts from Google.
- WP Super Cache an WP Super Cache - clear all cache: to speed up your WordPress by managing a cache for pages. For more information, check out a previous article on performance in WordPress.
The following plugins might be used. I've also added an httpbl script to forbid IP adresses from honeypot.org black list.
- Anti Spam: does a really good job (to remove spam comments) : I have no more spam comments.
- Contact Form 7 Honeypot: same thing as the previous one but for contact forms (from Contact Form 7) !
- Honeypot Comments: exactly the same as Anti-Spam ... but not as good !
- Akismet: is the anti-spam that comes by default with WordPress ... but I don't use it as you need to register to Akismet service.
- Codestyling Localization: to manage localisation (web site traduction) with a multi-languages site.
- Polylang: the best plugin to get WordPress with multiple languages.
- BAW Multipass for Protected Pages: intereting to protect the site pages with several passwords.
- Advanced Text Widget: allow to display text (as a widget) where you want and with the conditions you want.
- Xml Sitemap Generator: I used it before using SEO WordPress that generates a sitemap ... so I have no need for it anymore.
And of course, my own plugin "Je suis Charlie" ribbon MC to display a Je suis Charlie ribbon on your web site.
Happy WordPress !