FirePHP is a library that allows not really to debug (no break points etc) but to trace and log messages that will be easily read in the Firebug console !
It's not a major improvement to the messages that can be logged with the log_message function of CodeIgniter ... other than that the message is not logged into a file that must be opened: with FirePHP, messages land directly in the Firebug console which is really handy !
Here are the steps to add FirePHP to CodeIgniter :
- Download FirePHP core (at the moment, it's version 0.3.2).
- Unzip the archive and rename the file
- Copy the file
/lib/FirePHPCore/FirePHP.phpin CodeIgniter directory
- Add firephp in the array of
application/config/autoload.php(line 63). For instance, you get a line like this:
$autoload['libraries'] = array('database','firePHP');
- Then you only need to log some calls to get values displayed in the Firebug console, like:
$this->firephp->log('my string message' );
- Verify that Network panel is enabled and enable All messages on the Console: that's where the message will be displayed !
That's it !
WATCH OUT :
If, when using FirePHP, you get a message in the browser "The connexion has been reinitialised" (or some thing like that), then it could be a problem in FirePHP. Just deactivate it, and you will be fine (at least without this error).
EDIT April 20th : We may also use the Profiler class from CodeIgniter (check out CodeIgniter documentation for more info), by typin (anywhere in the controler):
Happy Debugging !